The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday night's matchup against the Baltimore Ravens. Kickoff is set for 8:20 p.m. and all gates will open at 6:30 p.m.
The Steelers will be wearing their throwback uniforms against the Ravens. The throwback uniforms represent the jerseys worn during the 1934 season. The team elected to choose the 1934 season jerseys to show a unique part of Steelers' history during their 80th season celebration, and the uniform has not been worn since that season. Earlier this year, Pittsburgh donned the uniforms in a 27-12 victory over the Washington Redskins in Week 8.
The Steelers will also be honoring former Steelers greats as part of the team's annual Alumni Weekend for the team's 80th Season. Alumni Weekend will be capped off at halftime with 17 former Steelers being recognized on-field for a special ceremony.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers' sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, one month subscription to PG site, Redbox rental from Giant Eagle, Amazing Spiderman DVD, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, Sport Clips haircuts, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine's pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, a Big Mac and large Sweet Tea from McDonald's, complimentary $4.99 appetizer from Eat'n Park, appetizers from Andora restaurant and Sabra products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 11 a.m. There will be a pig roast hosted by WDVE Morning Show personality Bill Crawford, and ZOSO, a nationally-known Led Zeppelin tribute band, will perform outside of Stage AE from 6-8 p.m.
Also, the Batmobile Tour will make its final stop at Heinz Field. From 4-9 p.m., fans will have the opportunity to see six Batmobiles and the Bat-pod on Art Rooney Avenue near the Gate A entrance. All Batmobiles, including the original from the 1966 television series, will be on display.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, Greenstar Recycling, Three Rivers Power Sweep and the PRC.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday's game:
- Steelers' alumni John Stallworthand Lynn Swannwill lead this week's Terrible Towel Twirl along withQuinn Hoerner, who was the winner of this week's "My Pittsburgh Steelers" fan contest, Susan Legler, winner of the Post-Gazette's Fan of the Game, and 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners.
- WDVEand theSteelers Radio Networkwill be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- King Sonicwill perform in the FedEx Great Hall from 6:30-8:05 p.m.
- The Steelers and Troy Polamalu,with the help of Operation Once in aLifetime, will honor a group of Navy Seals from East Coast based SEAL Teams prior to kickoff.
- Members of the Marine Corps Recruiting Station Pittsburgh will present Sunday's colors.
- The University of Pittsburgh Drum Linewill perform on field prior to kickoff.
- Chris Cagle, an American country music artist, will sing Sunday's national anthem. During and after the national anthem, there will be a Zambelli Fireworksdisplay.