Skip to main content

What Went Right, What Went Wrong

What went right, wrong at Chicago

The highs and lows of the Steelers regular season Week 3 game at the Chicago Bears.

1:00 p.m. ET - Kickoff


Game action photos from the Pittsburgh Steelers' Week 3 game against the Chicago Bears.

1:05 p.m. ET - What went wrong:** First play of the game: Martavis Bryant runs past cornerback Marcus Cooper, and Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball about 40 yards in the air, and it hit Bryant in full stride, But he wasn't able to put the ball in at the Bears 32-yard line, and following an incomplete pass to Jesse James on third down, the Steelers punted.

1:12 p.m. ET - What went wrong: The Steelers defense shut down the Bears on Chicago's first offensive possession of the game, but Eli Rogers fumbled the punt and Sherrick McManis recovered at the Pittsburgh 29-yard line. Six plays later, a 3-yard touchdown run by Jordan Howard gave the Bears a 7-0 lead with 9:09 left in the first quarter.

1:23 p.m. ET - What went wrong: The first quarter was not even nine minutes old, and the Steelers already had turned the ball over twice. The second came on a third-and-8 from the Chicago 38-yard line when cornerback Bryce Callahan sacked Ben Roethlisberger and stripped the ball, which was recovered by Akiem Hicks at midfield. To compound the issue, LG Ramon Foster was injured on the play.

1:32 p.m. ET - What went right: The Steelers defense responded to the lost fumble by Ben Roethlisberger on the sack/strip, and on a third-and-5 from the Pittsburgh 31-yard line, Ryan Shazier dropped Mike Glennon for a 2-yard gain on a scramble. Connor Barth's ensuing 47-yard field goal was wide right.

1:39 p.m. ET - What went wrong: The Bears were facing a third-and-8 at their own 20-yard line late in the first quarter, when Mike Glennon's pass over the middle to Markus Wheaton was broken up by Artie Burns. But Cam Heyward was flagged for roughing the passer, and the Bears' offensive possession was extended.

1:43 p.m. ET - End of 1st Quarter: Bears 7, Steelers 0


2:01 p.m. ET - What went right:** The Steelers tied the game with a 13-play drive that ended with a 7-yard pass to Antonio Brown for the touchdown. On the drive, Ben Roethlisberger completed 7-of-9 for 69 yards; Brown caught four of those for 27 yards; Le'Veon Bell carried three times for 16 yards, and Terrell Watson converted a third-and-1 with a 3-yard run up the middle. With 5:42 left in the first half, the game was tied, 7-7.

2:17 p.m. ET - What went wrong: It was a third-and-2 from the Bears 33-yard line in the latter stages of the second quarter, and the Steelers defense had a chance to get off the field. But Jordan Howard escaped a couple of would-be tacklers and put together a 9-yard run for the first down. Continuing to shred the Steelers' run defense, the Bears ripped off three more runs for a total of 45 yards before Mike Glennon capped off the drive with a 2-yard pass to a wide open Adam Shaheen. The Bears led, 14-7, with 43 seconds left in the first half.

2:29 p.m. ET - What went wrong: Marcus Cooper pulled a Leon Lett. After a 23-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown put the ball at the Chicago 18-yard line, the Steelers called their final timeout and lined up to attempt a 36-yard field goal. The attempt was blocked by Sherrick McManis, and the bounding ball was scooped by Marcus Cooper. As Cooper was returning the ball for an apparent touchdown, he slowed down inside the Steelers 5-yard line, only to have Vance McDonald catch him from behind the punch the ball out of his hands before he crossed the goal line. With the ball rolling loose in the end zone, Jordan Berry punched it out of the back of the end zone. After initially declaring the half over, the officials reconvened and awarded the Bears an untimed down inside the 1-yard line because the spot of the fumble was the 1-yard line and the penalty on Berry for an illegal batting of the ball was a half-the-distance foul. The teams were brought back out, and when the Bears lined up to run a play, they were penalized for a false start. Connor Barth then came on and kicked a 24-yard field goal, and the Bears had a 17-7 halftime lead.


2:30 p.m. ET - Halftime:** Bears 17, Steelers 7

3:09 p.m. ET - What went right: The Steelers defense started the second half with two good series – a three-and-out on the first created by Will Gay breaking up a third down pass to force a punt; and the second Bears series was ended by Ryan Shazier forcing and recovering a Jordan Howard fumble that gave the Steelers the ball at the Chicago 16-yard line.

3:17 p.m. ET - What went right: The Steelers capitalized on the takeaway with a six-play, 16-yard touchdown drive capped by a 1-yard run by Le'Veon Bell. Other important plays were a 6-yard scramble by Ben Roethlisberger on a third-and-6 from the 12-yard line, and Antonio Brown drawing a holding penalty in the end zone that was called on Marcus Cooper. The Bears led, 17-14, with 6:43 left in the third quarter,


3:21 p.m. ET - End of 3rd Quarter:** Bears 17, Steelers 14

3:41 p.m. ET - What went right: With just less than nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Bears faced a third-and-7 at their own 12-yard line. Mike Glennon's pass for Zach Miller was intercepted by J.J. Wilcox to give the Steelers the ball at the Chicago 21-yard line. When the Bears defense stiffened, Chris Boswell came on to tie the game, 17-17, with a 32-yard field goal with 8:03 remaining in the fourth quarter.

4:11 p.m. ET - End of Regulation: Steelers 17, Bears 17

4:23 p.m. ET - Final Score: Bears 23, Steelers 17

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.