The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday's season opener versus the Cleveland Browns. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
Prior to kickoff, there will be a special tribute to honor the late Chuck Noll. Steelers President Art Rooney IIand Chairman Dan Rooneywill present a commemorative helmet displaying the "CHN" decal to Noll's wife, Marianne, and son, Chris. The team will wear this decal on their helmets for the entire 2014 season to honor the Hall of Fame coach. There will also be a video tribute at halftime to honor the only coach in NFL history to win four Super Bowls.
For all home games in 2014, the Steelers will have a 50/50 Raffle with proceeds benefiting local charities. One fan will take home 50 percent of the game's collection, and for the season opener, the other half will go to the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund. The Art Rooney Scholarship Fund was established in 1990 in memory of Steelers founder, Arthur J. Rooney Sr. In partnership with the Pittsburgh Promise, the fund annually provides college scholarships for three graduating seniors at high schools located on Pittsburgh's North Side, where Art Rooney lived most of his life.
There will be 50/50 kiosks and personnel throughout the stadium. Tickets go on sale two hours prior to kickoff and will end during the game. The winning ticket will be announced during the game and the winners' list will be posted on Steelers.com for 30 calendar days after the game.
Fans are encouraged to stop at Steelers Tailgates at Stage AE, presented by Coors Light, as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. WDVEand the Steelers Radio Networkwill also be live at Stage AE for their pregame and postgame shows.
The NFL Bag Policy that was implemented at the start of the 2013 season will be in effect for all Steelers' home games.
Heinz Field encourages fans to not bring in any type of bags. However, the following style and size bag, package or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags are available through steelers.com, at all Steelers Sideline Stores and at nflshop.com), or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Logo on bag cannot exceed 4.5" tall by 3.4" wide.
- Small clutch purses, approximately the size of a hand, or 4.5" x 6.5" with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at each gate.
- Diapers and wipes can be carried in a clear bag, however diaper bags are not permitted.
- Each member of a family, including children, will be able to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse.
- The PA Army National Guard will distribute clear bags to all fans who enter the nearby parking lots.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given a scratch-off card, and all 25,000 fans will be winners. Fans will have the opportunity to win Steelers gift cards (Steelers Sideline stores), pregame field passes, concert tickets (Stage AE), free in-stadium food and drinks, a PG Store offer, an official 9Forty League Cap (New Era), overnight stays (Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa), free coffee (GetGo) and admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
There will also be live music in a variety of areas prior to kickoff. Lava Gamewill perform at Stage AE, Hillbilly Waywill perform in the FedEx Great Hall and The Jimmy Adler Bandwill perform on the main concourse.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling"campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Heinz Field, Waste Management, Three Rivers Power Sweep and Alco Parking.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday's game:
- The Pittsburgh Steeline Drum Linewill perform during pregame and will continue throughout the stadium during the game.
- Prior to the team's introductions, season ticket holders will unfurl a large 60-yard Terrible Towel near the home sideline.
- The Terrible Towel Twirl will be led by Steelers season ticket holders to celebrate the start of the 2014 season.
- The U.S. Army Pittsburgh Color Guardwill present our nation's colors.
- Gloriana, who performs Saturday night at the First Niagara Pavilion, will perform Sunday's National Anthem. **
- Pro Football Hall of Famer and Steeler great*Mel Blount *will be the honorary co-captain for the coin toss.
- Sergeant Alan Westonof the U.S. Marine Corp will be honored as theATI Hometown Hero.
- ThePenn-Trafford Marching Band will perform on field at halftime.