The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday's important season finale against the Cleveland Browns. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. Fans can enjoy a free breakfast, compliments of GetGo, from 9:30-10:30 a.m. WDVEand the Steelers Radio Networkwill also be live at Stage AE for their pregame shows.
The annual collection for the Free Care Fund at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC will take place prior to the game. Volunteers will be collecting donations from 11 a.m. until kickoff at all gates.
Beginning in 2013, all NFL teams implemented a new safety policy at stadiums that will make the security process more efficient and effective. The policy affects the type and size of bags that are permitted into the stadium, not the items that fans normally need to bring to a game.
Heinz Field encourages fans to not bring in any type of bags. However, the following style and size bag, package or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags are available through steelers.com, at all Steelers Sideline Stores and at nflshop.com), or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Logo on bag cannot exceed 4.5" tall by 3.4" wide.
- Small clutch purses, approximately the size of a hand, or 4.5" x 6.5" with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at each gate.
- Diapers and wipes can be carried in a clear bag, however diaper bags are not permitted.
- Each member of a family, including children, will be able to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse.
- The PA Army National Guard will distribute clear bags to all fans who enter the nearby parking lots.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given a scratch-off card, and all 25,000 fans will be winners. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers' sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine's pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, medium Premium Roast Coffee from McDonald's, appetizers from Andora, PG Store offers, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, free Sabra products, overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Sport Clips haircuts, admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Helluva Good dip products and Dole Squishems products.
There will also be live music in a variety of areas prior to kickoff. The Lava Gamewill perform inside Stage AE, The Delaney'swill perform in the FedEx Great Hall and Abby Abbondanzawill perform on the main concourse.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling"campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Heinz Field, Waste Management, Three Rivers Power Sweep and Alco Parking.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday's game:
- The Terrible Towel Twirl will be led by founding member of 'N Sync and Clarion native, Chris Kirkpatrick, and Miss Pennsylvania, Valerie Gatto, a native of West View.
- Heinzand Giant Eaglewill present a $10,000 check to the Extra Mile Education Foundation.
- The Ford Steelers Truck that has been on display all season will be given away to one lucky fan in a presentation on Art Rooney Avenue.
- The Pittsburgh Steeline Drum Linewill perform during pregame, and will continue throughout the stadium during the game.
- B.E. Taylorwill perform holiday songs from his Christmas Tour on the field during pregame.
- McKeesport native and start of Law and Order: SVU, Tamara Tunie will perform the national anthem.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit of Pittsburgh will present our nation's colors.
- Army Captain, Jason E. Lambright, will be honored as the ATI Hometown Hero.
- WPIAL AA and PIAA AA Champion, South Fayette, and WPIAL AAAA Champion, Central Catholic, will be honored prior to halftime.
- Prior to halftime, Coach Bob Ravenstahl,of Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School, will be honored as the High School Football Coach of the Year. He will receive a grant of $2,000 for his football team.
- The Franklin High School Marching Bandwill perform at halftime.
- During the 2013 football season, Steelers alum Josh Millerwill travel across America in the visiting team's city and talk football with Steelers fans, which will be played live on the scoreboard prior to kickoff.