The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Saturday's game against the St. Louis Rams. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards, which will be distributed by volunteers from 171st Air Refueling Wing at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers' sideline just prior to kickoff, Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert tickets, Stage AE concert tickets, free concessions (Coca-Cola fountain drinks, Augustine's Stadium Pizza, SilverStar Super Hot Dogs) throughout the stadium, private tours of Heinz Field, Terrible Towels, 2012 Steelers Fan Blitz passes, and $10 of Steelers' merchandise at any Steelers' Sideline Store.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Tickets to Saturday's game will be given away along with many other prizes. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Fan Cam will take place during kickoff and will give fans the chance to prove they were at Heinz Field for Saturday's matchup against the Rams. Fans are asked to be in their seats early before kickoff each and every home game, and at that time, an ultra-high-def, 5-billion pixel image will be shot on the field. This 360-degree virtual image will capture Heinz Field in its entirety, and it takes between 5-7 minutes to shoot. Fans will be able to "step inside" the image and look around Heinz Field for a frozen moment of time at kickoff. Follow the Steelers Official Facebook page to be notified when the image is available on Monday for tagging and sharing with friends on Facebook, email or twitter.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Pennsylvania Resources Council and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by PRC and the Alcoa Foundation in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, City of Pittsburgh Environmental Services, Greenstar Recycling and the Sports & Exhibition Authority. Since the beginning of the 2011 regular season, Steelers fans have recycled more than 18,000 pounds of aluminum, glass, plastic and cardboard.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Saturday's game:
- Astronaut Buzz Aldrin and a patient from Children's Hospital along with 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners, Post-Gazette Fan of the Game Elaine Curlowicz and season-ticket holder Kaivon Maknoonwill help lead this week's Terrible Towel Twirl.
- The Delaneys will be performing in the Coca-Cola Great Hall and Corned Beef and Curry will be performing on the Main Concourse West prior to the game.
- B.E. Taylor will perform songs from his Christmas Tour on the field prior to kickoff. He will also sing the national anthem.
- The annual Children's Hospital Free Care Fund collection will be at Saturday's game. Volunteers will be inside Heinz Field gates accepting monetary donations.
- An oversized 80th birthday card for Chuck Noll will be set up in the Coca-Cola Great Hall for fans to sign.
- The Pittsburgh Chapter of American Eagle Outfitters will be presenting a check for $22,500 to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Pittsburgh for every sack the Steelers have recorded thus far (30 sacks in first 14 games).
- WDVEand theSteelers Radio Networkwill be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- The United States Marine Corp of Recruiting Station Pittsburgh will present Saturday's colors.
- North Allegheny High School and Aliquippa High School will be recognized prior to kickoff for winning the WPIAL AAAA and AA Championships, respectively.
- The River City Brass Band will perform at halftime on the field.