STEELERS vs. CHARGERS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2009 KICKOFF 8:20 P.M. HEINZ FIELD
Steelers (1-2) vs. Chargers (2-1)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2) vs. San Diego Chargers (2-1)
Date: Sunday, Oct. 4, 2009
Kickoff: 8:20 p.m., ET
Site: Heinz Field (65,050) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Playing Surface: Natural Grass
TV Coverage: NBC (locally WPXI-TV, Channel 11)
Announcers: Al Michaels (play-by-play) Cris Collinsworth (color analyst) Andrea Kremer (sideline)
Local Radio: Steelers Radio Network WDVE-FM (102.5)/WBGG-AM (970)
Announcers: Bill Hillgrove (play-by-play) Tunch Ilkin (color analyst) Craig Wolfley (sideline)
Spanish Radio: Grupo Radio Acir (Mexico City) 88.9 FM
A Look at the Coaches
Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin
Overall Regular-season Record: 23-12 (.657)/second season
Regular-season Record at Pittsburgh: 23-12 (.657)/second season
Playoff Record/Years: 3-1/two years
*San Diego Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner
Overall Regular-Season Record: 79-96-1 (.452)/12th season
Regular-Season Record at San Diego: 21-14 (.600)/third season
Playoff Record/Years: 4-3/three years
Series History: Series began in 1971
*Overall: Pittsburgh leads 21-8
At Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh leads 14-2
At San Diego: Pittsburgh leads 7-6
Neutral Sites: n/a
Last Regular-Season Meeting: Nov. 16, 2008 (in Pittsburgh) Pittsburgh 11, San Diego 10
Postseason Series: San Diego leads 2-1
*(postseason record included in overall series record)
Pittsburgh owns a 21-8 all-time record against the San Diego Chargers (including postseason)...the Steelers won both matchups between the two teams in 2008, defeating the Chargers, 11-10, at home on Nov. 16, 2008 in the only contest in NFL history to end with such a score, and 35-24 on Jan. 11, 2009, in the AFC Divisional Game at Heinz Field...Pittsburgh has won seven of the previous eight meetings between these two teams, with the Chargers only win in that period coming October 8, 2006, 23-13, in San Diego...Pittsburgh has won five straight home games against San Diego, with the Chargers most recent win in Pittsburgh occurring in the 1994 AFC Championship Game, 17-13, at Three Rivers Stadium...San Diego has never defeated the Steelers in the regular season in Pittsburgh, as their only other victory occurred in the 1982 AFC Tournament, 31-28, at Three Rivers Stadium...the Steelers have held Chargers' star RB
LaDainian Tomlinson to only 155 yards on 49 attempts (3.2 avg) in his previous three games against Pittsburgh, including 20 plays where Tomlinson has been held to no gain or negative yardage.
Several Steelers have ties to the Chargers and the San Diego area. The Steelers have several players who are from California, including DT Chris Hoke(Long Beach), S Troy Polamalu(Garden Grove) and QB Dennis Dixon(San Leandro). In addition, Polamalu attended USC while DE Travis Kirschkeplayed at UCLA. Chargers with ties to the Steelers and Western Pennsylvania include assistant linebackers coach Greg Williams, who coached at Pitt in 2008. Offensive line coach Hal Hunterwas born in Canonsburg, Pa. and coached at Pitt and IUP. TE Kris Wilson played at Pitt.
*What To Look For
*PITTSBURGH TEAM NOTES
* • The Steelers look to improve to 21-6 all-time against the Chargers in the regular season.
• The Steelers look to improve to 14-0 at home all-time in the regular season against the Chargers.
• The Steelers look for their third win at Heinz Field against San Diego. Pittsburgh is 2-0 in the series since Heinz Field opened in 2001.
• The Steelers look to improve to 2-0 at home this year.
• The Steelers look to improve to 2-1 on the year against AFC opponents.
• The Steelers look for their sixth win in the last seven games against AFC West opponents in Pittsburgh.
*PITTSBURGH INDIVIDUAL NOTES
WR Hines Ward
• *Needs one touchdown to give him 454 career points, which would move him into sixth place on the team's all-time scoring list ahead of Norm Johnson (452 career points).
*TE Heath Miller
• Needs four touchdowns to move into second place ahead of Eric Green (24) on the team's all-time list for tight ends. Miller currently has 21 career touchdown receptions.