Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Philadelphia Eagles
August 8, 2008 (Heinz Field)
Pittsburgh Team Notes:
• Pittsburgh improved to 105-94-1 in the preseason.
• Pittsburgh took the first drive of the game and capitalized atQB Ben Roethlisberger foundWR Santonio Holmes for a 19-yard touchdown at the 10:27 mark of the first quarter. On the drive,RB Willie Parker rushed three times for 20 yards (6.7 avg.) and Roethlisberger was 2-for-2 for 38 yards and a touchdown.
• Philadelphia responded on the ensuing series with a 28-yard field goal by K David Akers following a 14-play, 70-yard drive.
• The Eagles grabbed a 10-7 lead in the second quarter as QB Donovan McNabb found FB Jason Davis for a three-yard touchdown pass.
• Pittsburgh tied the game at 10-10 asK Jeff Reed booted a 20-yard field goal with 3:29 left in the first half.
• After a scoreless third quarter, Pittsburgh regained the lead with a 24-yard field goal with 12:02 left in the fourth quarter.
• Reed added his third field goal of the game, a 50-yarder, to make it 16-10 with 7:28 remaining in the game.
• The Eagles drove deep into Pittsburgh's territory late in the game, but the Steelers defense came up with a stop in the red zone to secure the victory.
• Pittsburgh finished with 189 yards of total offense (118 rushing, 71 passing) to Philadelphia's 271 (61 rushing, 210 passing).
• The Steelers managed just nine first downs while the Eagles had 19.
• Philadelphia was penalized 10 times for 78 yards. Pittsburgh had five penalties for 67 yards.
•DT Casey Hampton,S Troy Polamalu,TE Cody Boyd,DE Travis KirschkeandS Anthony Smithdid not dress for the Steelers.
*Pittsburgh Individual Notes:
QB Ben Roethlisberger
• Played one series and finished 2-for-2 for 38 yards with one touchdown for a perfect passer rating of 158.3.
• Hit WR Santonio Holmes for a 19-yard touchdown at the 10:27 mark of the first quarter.
*QB Charlie Batch
• Finished 1-for-3 for three yards before leaving the game with a fractured collarbone.
*QB Dennis Dixon
• Completed 6-of-9 passes for 30 yards (71.5 passer rating).
*RB Willie Parker
• Finished with three carries for 20 yards (6.7 avg.) while playing just one series.
RB Carey Davis
• Rushed two times for four yards and caught one pass for three yards.
RB Gary Russell
• Rushed 10 times for 25 yards (2.5 avg.) and caught two passes for two yards.
RB Justin Vincent
• Carried nine times for 28 yards (3.1 avg.) with a long of seven yards.
WR Hines Ward
• Hauled in a 19-yard pass from Roethlisberger during his only series of action.
WR Santonio Holmes
• Caught a 19-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger on the first drive of the game.
WR Limas Sweed
• Had three catches for 23 yards (7.7 avg.).
DE Nick Eason
• Posted a sack on the last play of the first half.
DE Ryan McBean
• Recovered one fumble and finished with two tackles.
LB Keyaron Fox
• Finished with a game-high (tied) six tackles (three solo).
*LB James Farrior
• Posted a sack on QB Donovan McNabb on the Eagles' first drive of the game.
*LB Donovan Woods
• Posted a five-yard sack.
CB Anthony Madison
• Finished with five tackles.
CB Travis Williams
• Tallied five tackles (one solo).
P Paul Ernster
• Had seven punts for 294 yards (42.0 avg.).
**K Jeff Reed
• Finished a perfect 3-for-3 in field goals and 1-of-1 in PATs.
• Connected on a 50-yarder in the second half.