Heinz Field Management Issues Advisory for Thursday Night's Steelers Game
PITTSBURGH— The Steelers and Heinz Field management would like to remind fans attending Thursday night's preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals about some traffic, access and security matters.
Kickoff is at 8 p.m. and fans are encouraged to arrive early to avoid last minute crowds at the gates. All fans entering Heinz Field will be subject to full pat downs.
The Coca-Cola Great Hall and the South Plaza (Gates A and B) will open at 5 p.m., approximately three hours prior to kickoff. Gate C (access to the seating bowl, club lounges and suites) will open at 6 p.m.
Fans are also reminded of the following stadium policies:
· Coolers, bags, backpacks and large purses (larger than 8½ by 11) will be prohibited. Small purses, fanny packs, small camera cases and binocular cases and diaper bags will be permitted, however, all bags are subject to inspection. All bags that do not pass security must be returned to vehicles. In addition, Thermoses will not be permitted in the stadium.
· Media must present identification and check-in prior to being admitted to the stadium.
· Media planning on exiting and re-entering the stadium at any point on game day must have their credential "scanned-out" before exiting in order for it to be valid for re-entry.
Heinz Field management recommends that all fans lock their vehicles and keep personal belongings out of sight before entering the stadium. Fans are advised to not leave valuables in their vehicles during games.
In addition, oversized vehicles are prohibited from traveling around Heinz Field on Steelers game day.
The Steelers and Heinz Field management are warning fans to watch out for counterfeit tickets when attempting to make a purchase from scalpers. Fans looking to purchase tickets are advised to only purchase tickets from the Steelers ticket office or access the team's online TicketExchange service by logging on to www.steelers.com/ticketexchange or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com. Fans are advised not to purchase paper tickets printed through the TicketExchange service from scalpers because of the possibility of counterfeiting.
Fans without pre-sold parking and cash parkers arriving after 5:30 p.m., should utilize parking areas in the Golden Triangle, Station Square or the Allegheny Center garage.
Reserved, pre-sold parking lots around the stadium open at 3 p.m. to game day parkers. Tailgating is permitted in the pre-sold lots surrounding the stadium. Reedsdale Street eastbound, via the West End Bridge, will be opened for the game providing access to pre-sold Gold Lot 1, Red 5 Garage and Red 7 Lots.
For $5.00, convenient Golden Triangle parking is available at nine (9) Pittsburgh Parking Authority garages, the Mon Wharf and the Convention Center. The Fifth Avenue Place garage also provides parking for $5.00.
From Golden Triangle parking garages and Gateway "T" station, fans can enjoy a pleasant walk to Heinz Field via the Ft. Duquesne Bridge walk and sidewalks on the Roberto Clemente Bridge. Fans seeking front door service can park in the First Avenue Garage or the new Grant Street Transportation Center (at Penn Avenue and Twelfth Street) and catch a shuttle bus to Art Rooney Avenue near Gate A at Heinz Field (see below).
*Park & Ride from the Golden Triangle Garages with Convenient Bus Shuttles
*Want front door service to Heinz Field? If you park in the Golden Triangle, you can ride on a Shuttle Bus (for only $1.50 per person, each way). Shuttles operate two hours before kickoff and 45 minutes after the game. All shuttles will travel across the Clemente Bridge. Stops include Liberty Avenue across from the Wood Street "T" Station, Liberty Avenue at Heinz Hall and Sixth Street at Ft. Duquesne Blvd. At Heinz Field, Shuttles stop at Art Rooney Avenue near Gate "A."
Consider two garages with convenient access and Shuttles:
• First Avenue Garage – from EAST via I-376 (westbound) use Exit 1D to Second Avenue; and from SOUTH/WEST via I-376 (eastbound) use Exit 1C. Shuttle begins adjacent to garage, with twice as many shuttles as in past years.
• The New Grant Street Transportation Center Garage – from SOUTH/WEST and NORTH via I-279 use Exit 6C (10th Street Bypass/Convention Center) to Penn Avenue and 12th Street. Shuttle stops on 11th Street at Penn Avenue (adjacent to Convention Center).
PennDot, the Pittsburgh city police and other partners are working with the Steelers and Heinz Field management to facilitate event access and to provide tips that will help with your game day commute:
Heading East, South and West via West End Bridge (Traffic to *East I-376, Rte 60 and Rte 50, use right lane)
• Vehicles Parked in Lots 2 and 4 and in lots West of Heinz Field -- Sproat Way northbound is now OPENfor access from North Shore Drive to West End Bridge.
• *Vehicles Parked North of Heinz Field– Use Western Avenue westbound and Ridge Avenue westbound for access to West End Bridge.
Heading North to I-279:
• The HOV lane (northbound) isOPEN.
• All Madison Avenue northbound traffic is routed to the Hazlett Street entrance to North I-279 via East Street.
Heading North to Rte 28 and I-279 via Rte 65 Southbound:
• Vehicles Parked North of Heinz Field -- Use North Avenue westbound to Rte 65 southbound via Chateau Street northbound and "U" turn to Beaver Avenue southbound entrance to Rte 65 southbound.
Golden Triangle Streets CLOSED, follow detour
• Stanwix Street, from Ft. Duquesne Blvd. to Liberty Avenue.
• Penn Avenue, from Fifth Avenue Place to Liberty Avenue.
• Ft. Duquesne Blvd., eastbound(postgame only), Commonwealth Place to Sixth Street.
No commercial trucks will be permitted on North Shore local roads surrounding Heinz Field from three hours prior to kickoff until after the conclusion of the game.
*Station Square Boat Shuttles
Park at Station Square ($8.00) and ride the Gateway Clipper Fleet Steelers shuttle boats ($5.00 per person, each way).