Preseason Game #3
Pittsburgh Steelers (0-2) vs. Green Bay Packers (1-0)
Date: Sunday, Aug. 23, 2015
Kickoff: 1 p.m. ET
Site: Heinz Field (68,400) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Playing Surface: Natural Grass
TV Coverage: KDKA-TV, channel 2
Announcers: Bob Pompeani (play-by-play), Charlie Batch (color analyst), Rich Walsh (sideline)
Local Radio: Steelers Radio Network, WDVE-FM (102.5)/WBGG-AM (970)
Announcers: Bill Hillgrove (play-by-play), Tunch Ilkin (color analyst), Craig Wolfl ey (sideline)
STEELERS-PACKERS SERIES HISTORY
Series History: Series began in 1933
Overall Regular Season: Packers lead, 18-15
At Pittsburgh: Tied, 7-7
At Green Bay: Packers lead, 11-8
Neutral Sites: n/a
Streak: Steelers won previous four meetings
Last Regular-Season Meeting: Dec. 22, 2013 at Green Bay
Pittsburgh 38, Green Bay 31
Postseason Series: Packers lead, 1-0
Last Postseason Meeting: Feb. 6, 2011 - Super Bowl XLV
Green Bay 31, Pittsburgh 25
(preseason and postseason record not included in overall series record)
This week's game will mark the 10th time Pittsburgh and Green Bay will square off in a preseason game since 1965...the Steelers have defeated the Packers twice in their nine previous exhibition games (1971, 16-13 and 1973, 30-22)...Sunday's game will be the second meeting between the two teams in a preseason tilt since the 2000 season.
THE LAST TIME VS. GREEN BAY
Pittsburgh 38, Green Bay 31
Dec. 22, 2013
Lambeau Field (77,999)
GREEN BAY, Wisc. – The Steelers' defense stopped the Packers' last-second attempt to tie the game and defeated Green Bay, 38-31, at Lambeau Field.
The Packers struck fi rst, taking a 7-0 lead on QB Matt Flynn's five-yard touchdown pass to WR Jarrett Boykin. Pittsburgh tied the game, 7-7, at the end of the fi rst quarter when QB Ben Roethlisberger threw a one-yard touchdown to WR Emmanuel Sanders.
RB Eddie Lacy's 14-yard touchdown run gave Green Bay a 14-7 lead late in the second quarter. K Shaun Suisham connected on a 31-yard fi eld goal right before halftime to cut the lead to 14-10 at the break.
Roethlisberger scored on a 13-yard run to give Pittsburgh a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter. The Packers responded as Lacy scored on a two-yard run to give Green Bay a 21-17 advantage. But Pittsburgh scored 14 straight points to take a 31-21 lead.
TE Matt Spaeth and Roethlisberger connected on an 11-yard touchdown and on Green Bay's ensuing possession, CB Cortez Allen picked off Flynn and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown.
The Packers then scored 10 straight points to tie the game, 31-31. K Mason Crosby made a 22-yard fi eld goal and FB John Kuhn scored on a one-yard run to even up the score.
On the fi rst play after the two-minute warning, S Troy Polamalu forced a fumble on Flynn and DE Brett Keisel recovered it. On Pittsburgh's ensuing possession, RB Le'Veon Bell scored on a oneyard run to give Pittsburgh a 38-31 lead.
CB Micah Hyde then returned a kickoff 70 yards to set the Packers up in Steelers' territory. But as time expired, Flynn's pass fell incomplete.
Take a photo tour of 2015 Steelers Training Camp at Saint Vincent College from move-in day to the final practice.
• Steelers DB coach Carnell Lake was a Packers coaching intern in 2010.
• Steelers DE Joe Kruger had a stint on the Packers' practice squad in 2014 before being acquired by Pittsburgh in free agency.
• Green Bay Associate HC/Offense Tom Clements spent three seasons (2001-03) with Pittsburgh as the team's QB coach.
• Packers DC Dom Capers served as Pittsburgh's DC from 1992-94.
• Green Bay S coach Darren Perry was drafted by the Steelers in the eighth round (203rd overall) of the 1992 NFL Draft and played seven seasons with the team (1992-98). Perry was also Pittsburgh's DB coach for four seasons (2003-06).
• Green Bay QB/WR coach Alex Van Pelt was selected by Pittsburgh in the eighth round of the 1993 NFL Draft.
• Green Bay FB John Kuhn played for the Steelers from 2005-06.
• Pittsburgh DE Ethan Hemer played collegiately at the University of Wisconsin (2010-13) and is a native of Medford, Wis.
• Green Bay HC Mike McCarthy was born in Pittsburgh, Pa. and is a graduate of Bishop Boyle High School in Homestead, Pa.
• Green Bay Associate HC/Offense Tom Clements is a native of McKees Rocks, Pa.
• Packers S&C Coordinator Mark Lovat earned his master's degree in exercise science and performance enhancement from California University (Pa.).
• Green Bay RB coach Sam Gash and S coach Darren Perry both played for Penn State.
• Packers OQC coach Luke Getsy was the Offensive GA for the University of Pittsburgh for one year (2010). He went on to become the OC/QB coach for Indiana University of Pennsylvania (2011-12). Getsy is also a native of Munhall, Pa. and a graduate of Steel Valley High School.
• Green Bay Asst. LB coach Scott McCurley was a player and coach for the University of Pittsburgh (1999-2005). McCurley was also born in New Castle, Pa. and is a graduate of Blackhawk High School in Bessemer, Pa.
• Green Bay QB/WR coach Alex Van Pelt completed his collegiate career at the University of Pittsburgh, where he was a four-year starter at QB (1989-1992). Van Pelt was born in Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Packers T/G Don Barclay is from Harmony, Pa.
• Green Bay FB John Kuhn grew up in York, Pa.
• Packers TE Andrew Quarless attended Penn State.
• Green Bay G Matt Rotheram played for the University of Pittsburgh.
• Steelers HC Mike Tomlin coached Packers DT Letroy Guion for one season in Minnesota while Tomlin was the Vikings DC in 2006.
• Pittsburgh RB DeAngelo Williams was a teammate of Green Bay LB Julius Peppers for four seasons (2006-09) in Carolina.
• Pittsburgh TE Matt Spaeth also played with Peppers in Chicago for two years (2011-12).
• Pittsburgh DB coach Carnell Lake played for the Jaguars for two years (1999-2000) under Green Bay DC Dom Capers, who was Jacksonville's DC at the time.
• Steelers ST Coordinator Danny Smith was on the Buffalo coaching staff when Packers QB/WR coach Alex Van Pelt was the Bills' quarterback (2001-03).
• Smith was also on the same coaching staff as Packers DL coach Mike Trgovac in Philadelphia (1995-98).
• Steelers WR coach Richard Mann also spent time with Trgovac on the Redskins coaching staff (2001).
• Pittsburgh ILB coach Jerry Olsavsky was a linebacker for the University of Pittsburgh while Green Bay HC Mike McCarthy was on the coaching staff for the Panthers (1989-90).
• Steelers CB Will Gay played under Packers CB coach Joe Whitt Jr. at Louisville for his entire four-year collegiate career (2003-06).
• Steelers DE Ethan Hemer and Packers WR Jared Abbrederis were teammates at Wisconsin for four years (2010-13).
• Packers QB Scott Tolzien also played with Hemer and Abbrederis for one year at Wisconsin (2010).
• Pittsburgh T/G Kelvin Beachum and Green Bay S Chris Banjo played together at SMU (2008-11).
• Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons and Packers DT Letroy Guion were teammates for two seasons at Florida State (2005-06).
• Steelers DB coach Carnell Lake was on the staff at UCLA (2009) while Packers DE Datone Jones was a player (2008-12).
• Steelers LB Jordan Zumwalt was also a teammate of Jones' at UCLA for three seasons (2010-12).
• Steelers OT Mike Adams (2008-11), DE Cameron Heyward (2007-10), LB Ryan Shazier (2011-13) and CB Doran Grant (2011-14) all played with Packers C Corey Linsley at Ohio State (2010-13).
• Pittsburgh LS Greg Warren played one season (2001) with Green Bay LB Julius Peppers at North Carolina.
• Steelers LB Sean Spence was a teammate of Packers CB Sam Shields for two seasons (2008-09) at Miami (Fla.).
• Steelers FB Will Johnson played at West Virginia with Packers T/G Don Barclay (2007-10).