The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday's intrastate matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
Steelers' legends Jack Butler and Dermontti Dawson, who were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier this year, will receive their Hall of Fame rings during a ceremony at halftime.
This week's game against the Eagles is the Steelers' Breast Cancer Awareness Game. In support of the NFL's and NFLPA's Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign, "A Crucial Catch: Annual Screening Saves Lives," the Steelers will recognize many things throughout the stadium and on the field. Banners will be posted as well as pink goal-post padding in both end zones. Special game balls with pink ribbon decals as well as pink kicking tees will be used during the game. Pink equipment will be visible by both teams and coaching staffs on the sidelines.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers' sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, one-night stay at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, one month subscription to PG site, Redbox rental from Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh Steelers: Behind The Steel Curtain DVD, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, Sport Clips haircuts, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine's pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, sausage burrito and small McCafe Mocha from McDonald's, slice of pie from Eat'n Park, appetizers from Andora restaurant and Sabra products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. There will be a free breakfast buffet from 9:30-10:30 a.m., and The Lava Game will perform prior to kickoff outside of Stage AE.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, Greenstar Recycling, Three Rivers Power Sweep and the PRC.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday's game:
- Pink Terrible Towels will be given away to all fans upon entering Heinz Field.
- The Steelers Style Lounge, in conjunction with the Steelers Fashion Show, will be open from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Sunday near the FedEx Great Hall. Kym Johnson will be on hand to greet fans and offer fashion tips.
- There will be a Pro Football Hall of Fame display on the South Plaza to support the halftime ring ceremony for Butler and Dawson.
- CommanderMichael Savageaux and eight top crew members of the USS Pittsburgh will lead this week's Terrible Towel Twirl along withBenjaminand Brian Neas (Cinnaminson, N.J.), who were the winner of this week's "My Pittsburgh Steelers" fan contest, and 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners.
- WDVEand theSteelers Radio Networkwill be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- An all-female color guard, as part of the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign, will present Sunday's colors.
- Breast cancer survivors will be recognized on the field prior to kickoff.
- Velveeta will perform in the FedEx Great Hall prior to kickoff and Sputzy will perform on the Main Concourse.
- Prior to kickoff on Sunday, a presentation of $10,000 will be made to the Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh Foundation by Neighborhood Ford Stores, UPMC Career Centers and Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC. Additionally, Neighborhood Ford Stores will present a "Warrior Quilt" to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
- RPM recording artist,Maggie Rose, will sing Sunday's national anthem.