Steelers 5k, presented by Gatorade
Monday, September 2, 2019 - 8:00 a.m.- Heinz Field
Take a look at photos of the the 31st Annual Gatorade/Steelers 5K Race, Fitness Walk and Kids’ Kickoff Run. The proceeds benefit the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund
Join Honorary Captain Rocky Bleier for the 31st Annual Steelers 5K Race, Fitness Walk and Kids’ Kickoff Run, presented by Gatorade on Monday, Sept. 2, at 8 a.m. at Heinz Field. Proceeds benefit the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund. Bleier replaces Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris as this year’s honorary captain. Harris, unfortunately, had a change in schedule that left him unavailable.
Register online until 11:59 p.m. on Sept. 1.
Gatorade is the title sponsor of the race. Additional event partners include Giant Eagle, UPMC, Activbody, Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, KDKA-TV 2, WDVE-FM and ESPN Radio 970.
About the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund
The Art Rooney Scholarship Fund was established in memory of the late founder of the Steelers, who died in August of 1988 after living most of his life on the North Side. The scholarship annually provides a grant to a North Catholic High School student and funds the Pittsburgh Promise scholarships for two students graduating from Pittsburgh high schools who are residents of the North Side. Since its beginning, the scholarship has awarded grants to more than 85 local students.
- Early Packet Pickup
- Friday, August 30, 2019
- Noon until 7 p.m.
- Heinz Field Gate C
Race Day Packet Pickup
Race Day packet pickup opens at 6:00 a.m. in the FedEx Great Hall at Heinz Field.
- All participants will receive a short-sleeve t-shirt and a goody bag.
- The timing device is attached to the race bib.
- Participants may pick up packets for family or friends
Steelers 5k Pricing Schedule Pricing Schedule
- Opening Registration: $25 (Early Bird thru Memorial Day, May 27)
- Next Price Increase: $30 (May 28th – July 4th)
- Next Price Increase: $35 (July 5th – August 6th)
- Next Price Increase: $40 (August 7th – Sept. 1, closes at 11:59 p.m.)
- Race Weekend: $45 (Race Day)
Bundle Pricing Schedule (5K & Charity Walk registration) $5 Savings
- Opening Registration: $45 (Early Bird thru Memorial Day, May 27th)
- Next Price Increase: $55 (May 28th - July 4)
- Next Price Increase: $60 (July 5 – Through Walk
No refunds or deferments of entry fees.
Participants will gather in front of the Heinz Field Press Gate entrance on North Shore Drive. The course will follow North Shore to General Robinson Street to River Avenue, heading back to Heinz Field along Lacock Street to Mazeroski Way. Runners and walkers will follow General Robinson to Dorsett, turn left onto Reedsdale Street, then enter the stadium at Gate 5 to cross the finish line at midfield on the warning track.
- To accommodate the anticipated large crowd, the race will employ a wave start
- Walkers must maintain a 20-minute mile pace.
- Water will be available at approximately 2 miles and in the FedEx Great Hall at the finish.
- The NFL clear bag policy will be in effect for race day. Please visit HeinzField.com for details
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, roller skates and roller blades are not permitted on the course
- Animals are not permitted on the course with the exception of recognized service animals
- Headphones (iPods, mp3 players, CDs, tape walkmans, radios, etc.) are discouraged
Registration and Packet Pickup
- Open at 6 a.m. in the FedEx Great Hall at Heinz Field.
- The timing device is attached to the race bib.
- Shirts are available for race day registrants while supplies last.
- Limited complimentary parking will be available, courtesy of Alco Parking, in Gold Lots 1, 2 and the Gold Lot 1 garage.
- Please plan to arrive by 7:00 a.m. to allow time to park and for road closures. If you arrive after 7:00 a.m., we recommend parking in one of the downtown Pittsburgh parking garages and walking to Heinz Field, or taking the T.
- Family and friends may watch the runners cross the finish line from the east seating bowl
Kids' Kickoff Run
- The Kids’ Kickoff Run will begin at approximately 9:15 a.m., but all participants need to arrive before roads close at 7:30 a.m.
- All finishing participants will receive a finisher medal.
The awards ceremony will take place in the FedEx Great Hall after the race. Please note that age group awards will be mailed out this year.
Prizes are awarded as follows:
- Top five overall male and female. The winning overall male and female each win a trip to the Steelers-Browns game in Cleveland.
Age Groups (Age group awards will be mailed out after the race)
- Age groups – the top three finishers in the following age categories for men and women: 11 & Under, 12-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79 and 80+
- Male and Female Masters (age 40 +)
Nose Tackle Division
- Nose Tackle Division (men over 200 lbs.) To be eligible for Nose Tackle, you must weigh in the morning of the race.
Age category awards are based on chip time not gun time.
Results link will be posted on Steelers.com/5k after the race.
Overall category winners are not eligible for age group awards.