Linebacker James Farrior answered a series of questions that appeared in a regular feature in Steelers Digest this season. Teresa Varley sat down with James and presented the following questions to him.
1. What's the one thing about you that would surprise most Steelers fans?
Off the field I am a really quiet, laid back guy, but on the field, I am totally different.
2. It's late in the game, the outcome is on the line, and the play is coming your way. What are you thinking about?
Make the play. That is it. I have to make the play.
3. What makes Steelers fans unique?
They love their team, more than any other fans in the league. They really support us.
4. Do you ever catch yourself dreaming about playing in the Super Bowl?
You do that all of the time. You do that from the time you were a child. You dream about playing in the Super Bowl. It's no different now. You dream about celebrating after a Super Bowl win. Thinking about what I am going to do after a win.
5. A bone-jarring sack or an interception? Which would get your juices flowing the most and why?
That's a tough one. A sack or an interception? I think an interception. Yeah, I have to go with an interception because it puts your offense in a position to go out and make a play. It gives them the ball back.
6. Who's the one player you don't want to see on the other side of the line heading your way?
I like to see all of them. It doesn't bother me. I like the challenge. I will take them all on.
7. When you look at others who play your position, is anyone better than you and who and why?
I don't know if there is anybody better, but there are a lot of good ones out there. You have to give credit to the other guys. There are a lot of guys playing well at my position. Everybody knows about Ray Lewis. Also Donnie Edwards is playing good and Zach Thomas has been good for a while.
8. Does it bother you that with the season that you had, Ray Lewis is still the guy who gets all the hype by the media?
It doesn't bother me. It's been like that ever since I have been in the league. He is a great player and deserves his credit. The guys on my team know what I can do; they know what kind of player I am. That's all that counts.
9. In the locker room, Joey Porter is the talker; Clark Haggans is the comedian – what's your role?
I am like the daddy. I have to keep everyone together and keep everyone in check. That is my role. It's hard; it's tough. It's like being a parent. It's never an easy job. There is always something that comes up. You just keep at it and stay at it at all times. Everything works out in the end. I like the role. It's fine with me. I accept it and enjoy it.To subscribe to Steelers Digest, call 1-800-334-4005.
10. Who did you vote for this year for MVP?
I voted for Jerome (Bettis). He has been an inspiration for everybody on this team. His leadership and what he brings to the game every week is really an inspiration for everybody.