What went right, wrong vs. Kansas City

* Martavis Bryant was introduced with the offensive starters, but Michael Palmer ended up actually starting when the Steelers offense opened in a two-tight-end formation. But Bryant quickly made an impact, when his 44-yard catch converted a third-and-4 from the Pittsburgh 21-yard line. On the next play, Bryant gained 9 yards on an end-around.

  • A Chiefs offense that came into the game ranked No. 2 in the NFL in red zone efficiency, had to settle for a field goal on its opening possession as well. On third-and-goal from the Pittsburgh 10-yard line, Cam Heyward broke through to sack Alex Smith for a 7-yard loss that preceded Cairo Santos' 35-yard field goal that tied the game, 3-3, with two minutes left in the first quarter. The sack gave Heyward 1.5 before the end of the first quarter.
  • The Steelers red zone defense was effective in the first half and sacks were the reason. On a third-and-goal from the 4-yard line in a 3-3 game, James Harrison broke through and chased Alex Smith to the right where Jason Worilds bumped him out of bounds for a 3-yard sack that led to a 25-yard field goal by Santos and a 6-3 lead for Kansas City with about nine minutes left in the first half.
  • It was an incomplete pass on a third-and-goal at the 1-yard line, but the Steelers got new life when Chiefs safety Ron Parker was flagged for holding Martavis Bryant, who had been the intended receiver. On the next play, Le'Veon Bell powered into the end zone behind blocks from David DeCastro, Marcus Gilbert, and Michael Palmer. That gave the Steelers a 10-6 lead with 4:18 left in the first half.
  • Mike Mitchell tackled De'Anthony Thomas just short of the first down marker at the Pittsburgh 11-yard line to set up a fourth-and-1 from there with 27 seconds left in the first half of a game in which the Steelers held a 10-6 lead. The Chiefs elected to go for it on fourth down, but Jamaal Charles was first hit by Lawrence Timmons, with James Harrison and Will Allen joining in to stop him for no gain and turn the ball over on downs to the Steelers.
  • Kansas City's first possession of the second half was ended on a sack by James Harrison on a third-and-4 from the Chiefs 41-yard line.
  • After an unsuccessful challenge on a pass completion to Chiefs TE Travis Kelce, the Steelers came up with the game's first takeaway. On a quick pass to Jamaal Charles, Stephon Tuitt came back to make the hit and force the fumble that Vince Williams recovered at the Pittsburgh 25-yard line with 6:26 left in the third quarter.
  • It was a third-and-3 from the Kansas City 43-yard line, and a hard count from Ben Roethlisberger drew Tamba Hali offside. With a free play, Roethlisberger went down the right sideline for Antonio Brown, but Jamell Fleming was flagged for pass interference to give the Steelers a first down at the 24-yard line.
  • More Ben converting on third downs. Later in the possession, on a third-and-7 from the Chiefs 21-yard line, Roethlisberger threw a perfect strike over the middle to Heath Miller for a 10-yard gain to the 11-yard line. The possession ended with another field goal from Shaun Suisham and a 20-9 lead with four minutes remaining in the game.
  • The Chiefs' last hope was snuffed out when Will Johnson fell on Cairo Santos' attempted inside kick with 97 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

* Kansas City's No. 1-ranked red zone defense added another stop to its resume on the game's opening possession. The Steelers drove to a first down at the Chiefs 13-yard line, and had a third-and-2 at the 5-yard line when Ben Roethlisberger's pass to Antonio Brown was incomplete. The Steelers settled for a 23-yard field goal from Shaun Suisham for a 3-0 lead midway through the first quarter.

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted the Kansas City Chiefs at Heinz Field for Week 16.

  • It was a third-and-16 that had been set up in part by Cam Heyward and James Harrison sharing a sack of Alex Smith, but Smith ended up converting with a 19-yard hookup with Albert Wilson.
  • Brad Wing didn't get off to a very good start. His first punt, late in the first quarter from the Pittsburgh 21-yard line, traveled only 34 yards and allowed the Chiefs to begin their second possession at their own 49-yard line. The Chiefs went on to kick a field goal to tie the game, 3-3.
  • It was a fourth-and-5 at the Pittsburgh 12-yard line, and the Chiefs were lining up for what looked to be another short field goal attempt by Cairo Santos. But instead, holder Dustin Colquitt threw a shovel pass to tight end Travis Kelce coming across the formation that went for 6 yards and a fresh set of downs at the Steelers 6-yard line.
  • On a quick sideline pass to Albert Wilson, Will Gay came up and missed a tackle that allowed a 5-yard gain to become a 33-yard play that gave the Chiefs a first down at the Pittsburgh 32-yard line one play before the two-minute warning of the first half.
  • Lawrence Timmons made a timely open-field tackle after a 2-yard gain on a pass to Travis Kelce to set up a fourth-and-14 at the Kansas City 25-yard line. But side judge Scott Edwards, a good 25 yards away, flagged William Gay for taunting even though Gay made no gestures towards a Chiefs player nor did he say anything to a Chiefs player. The first down extended a Chiefs possession that ended in a 43-yard field goal that cut the Steelers' lead to 17-9 with 10:13 remaining in the fourth quarter.
  • Following Shaun Suisham's second field goal – with four minutes left in the fourth quarter that gave the Steelers a 20-9 lead – there was a scrum and Ramon Foster was flagged for a personal foul that was assessed on the ensuing kickoff. The Chiefs ended up starting their offensive possession at midfield.
This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.