The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
Sunday's game marks the team's annual Play 60 Game, dedicated to the NFL initiative to tackle childhood obesity by encouraging youth to be active for at least 60 minutes per day. Local kids, as part of NFL Play 60, will line up on the field for the coin toss and will stand with Steelers' players and coaches for the national anthem as Steelers' gameday guests.
Beginning in 2013, all NFL teams implemented a new safety policy at stadiums that will make the security process more efficient and effective. The policy affects the type and size of bags that are permitted into the stadium, not the items that fans normally need to bring to a game.
Heinz Field encourages fans to not bring in any type of bags. However, the following style and size bag, package or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags are available through steelers.com, at all Steelers Sideline Stores and at nflshop.com), or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Logo on bag cannot exceed 4.5" tall by 3.4" wide.
- Small clutch purses, approximately the size of a hand, or 4.5" x 6.5" with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at each gate.
- Diapers and wipes can be carried in a clear bag, however diaper bags are not permitted.
- Each member of a family, including children, will be able to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse.
- The PA Army National Guard will distribute clear bags to all fans who enter the nearby parking lots.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given a scratch-off card, and all 25,000 fans will be winners. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers' sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine's pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, medium Premium Roast Coffee from McDonald's, appetizers from Andora, PG Store offers, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, free Sabra products, overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Sport Clips haircuts, admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Helluva Good dip products and Dole Squishems products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. Fans can enjoy a free breakfast, compliments of GetGo, from 9:30-10:30 a.m. WDVEand the Steelers Radio Networkwill also be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
There will also be live music in a variety of areas prior to kickoff. The Vagrantswill perform inside Stage AE, Glitzwill perform in the FedEx Great Hall and Abby Abbondanzawill perform on the main concourse.
The Steelers are participating all season in the "Let's Tackle Recycling"campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The "Let's Tackle Recycling" campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Heinz Field, Waste Management, Three Rivers Power Sweep and Alco Parking.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday's game:
- The Pittsburgh Steeline Drum Linewill perform during pre-game, and will continue throughout the stadium during the game.
- The Terrible Towel Twirl will be led by television and film actor and Pittsburgh native, Joe Manganiello.
- Pop Artist Whitney Wolanin will perform the national anthem, and will perform "Run, Run Rudolph" during pregame.
- In honor of the 72nd Anniversary of Pearl Harbor, the Ceremonial Color Guard from Navy Recruiting District Pittsburgh, will present our nation's colors.
- Staff Sergeant, John Carter, will be honored as the ATI Hometown Hero.
- WPIAL A Champion, Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic, and City League Champions, University Prep, will be honored prior to halftime.
- Participants from the local NFL Punt, Pass & Kickcompetition will participate in passing drills at halftime.
- During the 2013 football season, Steelers alum Josh Millerwill travel across America in the visiting team's city and talk football with Steelers fans, which will be played live on the scoreboard prior to kickoff.