Pittsburgh Steelers (0-1) at Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0)
Date: Friday, Aug. 14, 2015
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Site: EverBank Field (67,164) • Jacksonville, Fla.
Playing Surface: Natural Grass
TV Coverage: KDKA-TV, channel 2
Announcers: Bob Pompeani (play-by-play), Charlie Batch (color analyst), Jeff Verszyla (sideline)
Local Radio: Steelers Radio Network, WDVE-FM (102.5)/WBGG-AM (970)
Announcers: Bill Hillgrove (play-by-play), Tunch Ilkin (color analyst), Craig Wolfl ey (sideline)
Fifty years of Steelers football at Saint Vincent College.
50TH YEAR AT SAINT VINCENT COLLEGE**
The Steelers are celebrating their 50th Training Camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., this summer.
Pittsburgh has called Saint Vincent College its "summer home" since 1966.
Through their fi rst three decades in the NFL, the Steelers held their training camps at a variety of locations, as far east as New England and as far west as Wisconsin. In 1966, for the third straight summer, training camp for the Steelers was at the University of Rhode Island.
The team was there through the fi rst four weeks of a five-game preseason schedule. Then, after a loss in Green Bay to Vince Lombardi's Packers, Coach Bill Austin wanted the team closer to Pittsburgh because the 1966 regular season was due to open with a home game against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.
With no practice fi elds of their own at the time, the Steelers turned to Saint Vincent College. The team arrived in Latrobe on Aug. 29 and spent a couple of weeks on campus going through fi nal preparations for the 1966 regular season.
In 1967, the Steelers conducted their entire training camp at Saint Vincent College.
BETTIS TO HALL OF FAME**
Former Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jerome Bettis was honored for his illustrious career as one of the NFL's most prolific running backs as he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2015, and was enshrined on Saturday, August 8, at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.
Bettis played in 192 regular-season games in his 13-year career, spending his first three years with the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and the final 10 with the Steelers. The Detroit native registered the sixth-most rushing yards (13,662) in NFL history. Bettis eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark in 61 games during the regular season and three times in the postseason, compiling a 47-17 record in those contests.
He recorded 78 rushing touchdowns as a member of the Steelers during the regular season, the second-most in franchise history behind Hall of Famer Franco Harris (91). In all, Bettis led his team in rushing 11 seasons, three with the Rams and eight with the Steelers. His eight 1,000-plus yard seasons tied for third-best in the NFL when he retired.
Bettis was named to six Pro Bowls, voted fi rst team All-Pro twice, second team All-Pro once and was the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 1996. In 10 years in Pittsburgh, Bettis helped the Steelers reach four AFC Championship games and win Super Bowl XL in 2005, fi nishing his career with a victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Before he came to Pittsburgh in 1996 and recorded 1,431 rushing yards in his fi rst season, the Steelers had only one 1,000 yard rusher in the previous 12 seasons.
STEELERS-JAGUARS SERIES HISTORY
Series History: Series began in 1995
Overall Regular Season: Tied, 11-11
At Pittsburgh: Steelers lead, 6-4
At Jacksonville: Jaguars lead, 7-5
Neutral Sites: n/a
Streak: Steelers won previous three meetings
Last Regular-Season Meeting: Oct. 5, 2014 at Jacksonville
Pittsburgh 17, Jacksonville 9
Postseason Series: Jaguars lead, 1-0
Last Postseason Meeting: Jan. 5, 2008 at Pittsburgh
Jacksonville 31, Pittsburgh 29
(preseason and postseason record not included in overall series record)
This week's game will mark the first time Pittsburgh and Jacksonville will square off in an exhibition game in series history.
THE LAST TIME VS. JACKSONVILLE*
*Pittsburgh 17, Jacksonville 9
Oct. 5, 2014
Everbank Field (66,198)
JACKSONVILLE – CB Brice McCain returned a Blake Bortles interception 22 yards for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter to lift the Steelers to a 17-9 victory over the Jaguars at Everbank Field.
Jacksonville got on the board midway through the first quarter with K Josh Scobee's 43-yard fi eld goal. Early in the second quarter
K Shaun Suisham connected on a 24-yard fi eld goal to tie the game 3-3. Pittsburgh took the lead for good right after the two-minute warning in the fi rst half when QB Ben Roethlisberger found TE Michael Palmer for a one-yard touchdown. The touchdown capped off a 10-play, 70-yard drive and was Palmer's fi rst career touchdown as a Steeler.
Jacksonville cut the lead 10-9 by the end of the third quarter on Scobee's two made fi eld goals (35 and 36 yards), and the team got a splash play on defense when the Steelers were driving. With the Steelers at the Jaguars' 13-yard line, Roethlisberger was sacked and stripped and the fumble was recovered by DL Andre Branch.
But on the Jaguars second play of their ensuing drive, Bortles was picked off by McCain and he returned it for a score to seal the victory for Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh's defense held the Jaguars to less than 100 rushing yards, the fi rst time since 2012 that the Steelers held three straight opponents to less than 100 rushing yards.
• Pittsburgh DB coach Carnell Lake played one season (1999) for the Jaguars and was named to the Pro Bowl.
• Steelers CB Antwon Blake spent the 2012 season with Jacksonville.
• Jacksonville Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Tom Myslinski played three seasons (1996-97, 2000) for Pittsburgh.
• Jacksonville DT Ziggy Hood was drafted by the Steelers in the first round (32nd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft and played five seasons with Pittsburgh (2009-13).
• Pittsburgh CB Antwon Blake is a native of Jacksonville, Fla.
• Jacksonville DC Bob Babich, LB Paul Posluszny and CB Tommie Campbell hail from Aliquippa, Pa. Babich coached the linebackers at the University of Pittsburgh from 1994-96, Posluszny played at Penn State (2003-06) and Campbell played at California (Pa.).
• Jaguars Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Tom Myslinski has a master's degree from the University of Pittsburgh and was a volunteer Asst. Strength and Conditioning coach for the Panthers (1998-2001). He was also the Head Strength and Conditioning coach at Robert Morris University for two seasons (2006-06).
• Jacksonville DQC coach Dan Shamash was a three-year letterman at Carnegie Mellon University.
• Jaguars WR Allen Robinson (2011-12) and TE Mickey Shuler (2007-09) played collegiately at Penn State.
• Jaguars LB Todd Thomas is a native of Beaver Falls, Pa., and was a four-year letterman at the University of Pittsburgh (2011-14).
• Jacksonville C Stefen Wisniewski is from Pittsburgh, Pa. He is a graduate of Central Catholic High School and played at Penn State for four years (2007-10).
• Jaguars TE Ben Koyack hails from Oil City, Pa.
• Steelers HC Mike Tomlin coached two seasons (2004-05) in Tampa Bay with Jaguars TE/Asst. ST coach Ron Middleton.
• Steelers OC Todd Haley coached with Jaguars OC Greg Olson for one year in Chicago (2003).
• Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak coached Jaguars DT Sen'Derrick Marks for four seasons (2009-12) with the Titans.
• Pittsburgh WR coach Richard Mann, S Will Allen and QB Bruce Gradkowski spent time with Jaguars HC Gus Bradley (2006-08) and DL coach/Run Game Coordinator Todd Walsh (2007-09) in Tampa Bay.
• Gradkowski played alongside Jacksonville LB Dan Skuta in Cincinnati for two years (2011-12).
• Pittsburgh RB coach James Saxon held the same position on Minnesota's staff while Jacksonville RB Toby Gerhart was a Viking from 2011-13.
• Saxon was on staff in Miami while Jaguars DL Jared Odrick was a Dolphin in 2010.
• Steelers LB Arthur Moats played with Jaguars LB Paul Posluszny (2010) and OT Sam Young (2011-13) in Buffalo.
• While in Buffalo, Moats also played under Jaguars Asst. HC-O/OL coach Doug Marrone for one year (2013).
• Pittsburgh TE Matt Spaeth and Jacksonville DC Bob Babcih spent two seasons (2011-12) together in Chicago.
• Steelers S Mike Mitchell (2009-12) and QB Bruce Gradkowski (2009-10) both played in Oakland, while Jaguars RB coach Kelly Skipper (2007-14) was on the Raiders' staff.
• Steelers S Ross Ventrone was a New England Patriots teammate of Jaguars S Sergio Brown for one season (2011).
• Pittsburgh WR Darrius Heyward-Bey also played with Brown in Indianapolis for one year (2013).
• Steelers DT Cam Thomas played with Jaguars WR Bryan Walters in San Diego for one year (2011).
• Steelers Asst. HC/DL coach John Mitchell and Jaguars WR coach Jerry Sullivan were both on the LSA staff for four seasons (1987-90).
• Pittsburgh Offensive Asst. Shaun Sarrett coached four seasons (2008-11) alongside Jacksonville TE/Asst. ST coach Ron Middleton at Duke.
• Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey (2009) and T Marcus Gilbert (2009-10) played at Florida with Jaguars S Josh Evans.
• Pittsburgh G David DeCastro played two seasons (2008-09) with Jacksonville RB Toby Gerhart at Stanford.
• Steelers OT Mike Adams (2008-11), LB Ryan Shazier (2011-13) and CB Doran Grant (2011-14) all played with Jaguars DT Michael Bennett (2011-14) at Ohio State.
• Pittsburgh LBs Sean Spence (2008-11) and Anthony Chickillo (2011-14) were teammates of Jacksonville LB Thurston Armbrister (2011-14), WR Allen Hurns (2010-13), G Brandon Linder (2010-13) and QB Stephen Morris (2010-13) at the University of Miami. Jacksonville Offensive Coaches Associate Chris O'Hara (2011-13) and OQC coach Tony Sorrentino (2011) were also on the Hurricanes' staff during that span.
• Steelers LB Vince Williams was teammates with Jaguars LB Telvin Smith (2010-12) at Florida State.
• Pittsburgh WR Markus Wheaton (2009-12) was teammates with Jacksonville TE Connor Hamlett (2011-14) and CB Rashaad Reynolds (2010-13) at Oregon State.
• Pittsburgh QB Landry Jones was an Oklahoma teammate of Jacksonville CB Aaron Colvin for three seasons (2010-12).
• Steelers LB Jarvis Jones (2009-12) and CB Brandon Boykin (2008-11) both played at Georgia with Jaguars DT Abry Jones (2009-12).
• Pittsburgh S Shamarko Thomas played alongside Jacksonville DT Eric Crume at Syracuse for two seasons (2011-12).
• Steelers P Brad Wing spent three seasons (2010-12) at LSU with Jaguars S Craig Loston.
• Pittsburgh DE Stephon Tuitt was teammates with Jacksonville TE Ben Koyack at Notre Dame for three seasons (2011-13).
• Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant (2011-13) spent time at Clemson with Jaguars DE Andre Branch (2007-11) and G Tyler Shatley (2009-13).
• Steelers WR Sammie Coates (2011-14) played at Auburn with Jaguars RB Corey Grant (2012-14) and CB Nick Marshall (2013-14.)
• Steelers TE Jesse James played with Jaguars WR Allen Robinson for one season at Penn State (2012).
• Steelers S Gerod Holliman (2012-14) spent time at Louisville with Jaguars WR Damian Copeland (2011-13) and S James Sample (2014).