2016 Gatorade/Steelers 5K
Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5
New Early Start Time – 7:30 a.m.
Former Steelers All-Pro Guard Alan Faneca will chair the 28th Annual Gatorade/Steelers 5K Race, Fitness Walk and Kids’ Kickoff Run on Labor Day, Monday, September 5, at 7:30 a.m. at Heinz Field. The race benefits the Art Rooney Scholarship Fund.
The start time was moved back to accommodate other events happening on the North Shore that day.
Online registration, presented by Dick’s Sporting Goods, is available by clicking here. Paper applications can be requested by calling (412) 697-7713 or by emailing 5K@steelers.nfl.com.
Faneca, who served as a volunteer coach during the Steelers’ OTAs and mini-camp, will continue this role throughout the team’s 2016 training camp, as he will help assist Offensive Line Coach Mike Munchak. As a Steeler, Faneca was named to the Pro Bowl seven times, and he was named First-Team All-Pro six times.
Participants will gather in front of the Heinz Field Press Gate entrance on North Shore Drive. The course will follow North Shore to General Robinson Street to River Avenue, heading back to Heinz Field along Lacock Street to Mazeroski Way. Runners and walkers will follow General Robinson to Art Rooney Avenue then enter the stadium at Gate 5 to cross the finish line at midfield on the warning track. To accommodate the anticipated large crowd, the race will employ a wave start and walkers must maintain a 20-minute mile pace.
Gatorade is the title sponsor and Nike is the official outfitter of the race. Additional event partners include Dick’s Sporting Goods, Giant Eagle, UPMC, KDKA-TV 2, WDVE-FM and ESPN Radio 970.
The Art Rooney Scholarship Fund was established in memory of the late founder of the Steelers, who died in August of 1988 after living most of his life on the North Side. A $15,000 scholarship in Art Rooney’s name is presented annually to a graduating senior from two high schools on the North Side – Perry (two scholarships through the Pittsburgh Promise) and Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic. Since its beginning, the scholarship has awarded grants to more than 75 local students.
FAQ’s – HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- All participants will receive a short-sleeve NIKE t-shirt and a goody bag.
- Early registration is $20 for the Run and Walk, $10 for Kids’ Kickoff Run.
- Online registration closes at 1 a.m. on Aug. 31.
- Late registration is $25 for Run/Walk and $15 for Kids’ Kickoff and is available at packet pickup on Friday, Sept. 2, Noon-8 p.m. at Heinz Field Gate C.
- Race Day registration opens at 5:30 a.m. in the FedEx Great Hall at Heinz Field. T-shirts available for race day registrants while supplies last.
- No refunds or deferments of entry fees.
- Pets are not permitted with the exception of recognized service animals.
- Age category awards for male and female competitors will be based on chip time in the following categories: 11 and under; 12-14; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69, 70-74; 75 and over).
- Special Nose Tackle Division: Men over 200 lbs. To be eligible for Nose Tackle, you must weigh-in the morning of the race.
Check back for more information in coming weeks!