STEELERS IN THE PRESEASON
Pittsburgh owns a 121-108-1 all-time record in the preseason.
STEELERS-BILLS SERIES HISTORY*
Series History: Series began in 1933
Overall Regular Season: Steelers lead, 13-8
At Pittsburgh: Steelers lead, 8-1
At Buffalo: Bills lead, 7-5
Neutral Sites: n/a
Streak: Steelers won previous five meetings
Last Regular-Season Meeting: Nov. 10, 2013 at Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh 23, Buffalo 10
Postseason Series: Steelers lead, 2-1
Last Postseason Meeting: Jan. 6, 1996 - Divisional Playoff
Pittsburgh 40, Buffalo 21
*(preseason and postseason record not included in overall series record)
Pittsburgh and Buffalo will meet for the second consecutive year in preseason action on Saturday...the Steelers defeated the Bills, 19-16 at Heinz Field in 2014...this week's game will mark the 11th time the two teams will have squared off in exhibition play, with Pittsburgh holding an 8-2 advantage.
THE LAST TIME VS. BUFFALO*
*Pittsburgh 23, Buffalo 10
Nov. 10, 2013
Heinz Field (64,046)
PITTSBURGH – The Steelers used a balanced attack on offense and a stingy defense to beat the Buffalo Bills, 23-10, at Heinz Field.
On Pittsburgh's fi rst drive of the game, S Jairus Byrd picked off QB Ben Roethlisberger and returned it to the Steelers' 36-yard line. K Dan Carpenter made a 20-yard fi eld goal to give Buffalo a 3-0 lead.
But it would be the last points Buffalo would score until late in the fourth quarter. On the Bills' next 10 possessions, Pittsburgh either forced Buffalo to punt or caused a turnover.
Midway through the second quarter, K Shaun Suisham tied the game, 3-3, with a 36-yard fi eld goal. And after the two-minute warning, Roethlisberger connected with WR Jerricho Cotchery on a fi veyard touchdown to extend the lead, 10-3.
Late in the third quarter, WR Antonio Brown returned a punt 24 yards, and on the next play, Roethlisberger and Brown connected on a 40-yard pass. Six plays later, RB Le'Veon Bell scored on a four-yard run to extend Pittsburgh's lead, 17-3.
S Ryan Clark intercepted QB E.J. Manuel midway through the fourth quarter. Three plays later, Suisham made a 37-yarder to increase the Steelers' lead, 20-3. Suisham also added a 23-yarder late in the fourth quarter to give Pittsburgh a 23-3 lead.
Pittsburgh's defense allowed a season-low 227 total net yards and tied a season high with three sacks.
The Pittsburgh Steelers travel to Buffalo, New York to for week 3 of the preseason. Presented by Bose.
• Steelers ST Coordinator Danny Smith held the same position on the Bills coaching staff for three seasons (2001-03).
• Steelers RB coach James Saxon also served as the Bills' RB coach for one season (2000).
• Pittsburgh LB Arthur Moats (2010-13) and WR David Nelson (2010-12) played for Buffalo.
• Buffalo GM Doug Whaley was a Pro Personnel Scout with Pittsburgh in 1995 and later the team's Pro Scouting Coordinator from 1999-2009.
• Bills Director of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher spent 13 years (2000-12) as a College Scout with the Steelers.
• Buffalo DL coach Karl Dunbar was an eight-round draft choice of Pittsburgh in 1990.
• Bills DT Corbin Bryant played for the Steelers for one season (2011).
• Buffalo G Kraig Urbik was with Pittsburgh for one season (2009).
• Steelers DL Niko Davis is a native of Buffalo, N.Y., and attended Lafayette (Buffalo, N.Y.) High School.
• Bills ST Coordinator Danny Crossman was a three-year letterman for the University of Pittsburgh.
• Bills RB LeSean McCoy is a native of Harrisburg, Pa. and played collegiately at the University of Pittsburgh (2007-08).
• Buffalo Defensive Asst. D'Anton Lynn played at Penn State for four years.
• Pittsburgh HC Mike Tomlin was the Vikings' DC (2006) while Bills DL coach Karl Dunbar served as the DL coach in Minnesota in 2006.
• Steelers RB coach James Saxon was also on the Vikings' staff with Dunbar in Minnesota for one year (2011).
• Steelers OC Todd Haley coached alongside Bills QB coach David Lee (2004-06) and Buffalo Asst. HC/RB coach Anthony Lynn (2005-06) in Dallas.
• Haley was on staff in Kansas City while Bills QB Matt Cassel was a Chief (2009-11).
• Saxon also coached with Lee in Miami while Bills K Dan Carpenter was a Dolphin (2008-10).
• Steelers CB coach Carnell Lake worked in Green Bay at the same time Bills DE Jarius Wynn was a Packer in 2010.
• Steelers Conditioning Coordinator Garrett Giemont and Bills OL coach Aaron Kromer worked together in Oakland for two seasons (2001-02).
• Tomlin also worked with Kromer for one season on Tampa (2005).
• Steelers RB DeAngelo Williams played in Carolina while Bills ST Coordinator Danny Crossman was on the Panthers' staff (2006-09).
• Pittsburgh WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (2009-11), S Mike Mitchell (2009-11) and QB Bruce Gradkowski (2009-10) played in Oakland while Buffalo WR coach Sanjay Lal was on staff for the Raiders.
• Gradkowski was a player in Cleveland at the same time Lynn was a coach (2008).
• Gradkowski also played with Bills FB John Conner in Cincinnati for one year (2012).
• Steelers DE Matt Conrath was a teammate of Bills DT Alex Carrington in St. Louis for one year (2014).
• Steelers TE Matt Spaeth played with Bills S Corey Graham in Chicago for one year (2011).
• Pittsburgh DT Cam Thomas was a teammate of Bills DE Jarius Wynn in San Diego for one season (2013).
• Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons and Bills LS Garrison Sanborn and DE Andre Fluellen played collegiately at Florida State together for three seasons (2004-06).
• Pittsburgh CB William Gay was a teammate of Buffalo C Eric Wood at Louisville for two years (2005-06).
• Steelers OT Markus Gilbert and C Maurkice Pouncey played at Florida with Bills WR Percy Harvin for two years (2007-08).
• Pittsburgh G David DeCastro played with Buffalo LB A.J. Shipley at Stanford (2010-11).
• Pittsburgh LB Jarvis Jones (2009-12) and CB Brandon Boykin (2008-11) played with Buffalo S Bacarri Rambo (2009-12) and T Cordy Glenn (2008-11) at Georgia.
• Steelers S Shamarko Thomas was a player at Syracuse while Bills OLB coach Jason Rebrovich and OQC coach Jason Vrable were on the Orange staff (2009-12).
• Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant played at Clemson while Buffalo ST Quality Control coach Michael Hamlin was a GA for the Tigers (2013).
• Bryant also played at Clemson with Bills WR Sammy Watkins (2011-13), S Jonathan Meeks (2011-12) and LB Tony Steward (2011-13).
• Pittsburgh P Brad Wing played with Buffalo CB Ron Brooks at LSU for two seasons (2010-11).
• Steelers LBs Anthony Chickillo (2011-14) and Sean Spence (2008-11) were teammates with Bills LB Jimmy Gaines (2010-13) and Bills T Seantrel Henderson (2010-13) at Miami (Fla).
• Steelers S Gerod Holliman was a teammate of Bills LB Preston Brown and Bills G John Miller at Louisville for two seasons (2012-13).