WHAT WENT RIGHT
* Facing a third-and-1 from the Pittsburgh 42-yard line late in the first quarter, the Panthers once again turned to their short-yardage fullback, Mike Tolbert. This time, Jarvis Jones stuffed Tolbert for no gain, and the Panthers punted.
* Brad Wing’s first punt went 40 yards, but he drilled a 52-yarder from deep in his own territory on his second, which came early in the second quarter. The line of scrimmage was the Steelers’ 17-yard line, and Carolina began its possession at its own 35-yard line. Wing’s third punt was a 31-yarder that had to be fair caught at the Carolina 11-yard line.
* Jarvis Jones was having himself a very nice game even before he recovered a fumble midway through the second quarter. On a first-and-10 at the Pittsburgh 21-yard line, center Brian Folkerts’ snap was over quarterback Derek Anderson’s head. Even though Anderson got to the ball first, Jones came out with the fumble recovery.
* After the Steelers went 0-for-5 on third downs during the first half, Landry Jones converted the first two of the second half. He passed for 10 yards to Derek Moye to convert a third-and-1, and then for 7 yards to Darrius Heyward-Bey to convert a third-and-2.
* On a third-and-8 from the Pittsburgh 13-yard line, running back Josh Harris bounced outside to the right and raced 31 yards to the 44-yard line. It was the longest offensive play of the game for the Steelers.
WHAT WENT WRONG
* With Carolina looking at a third-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 35-yard line on its initial possession, Ryan Shazier pressured Derek Anderson into a quick throw to Jason Avant, who then escaped Brett Keisel and Jarvis Jones to gain 13 yards and a first down. The Panthers ended the possession with a 33-yard field goal and a 3-0 lead.
* During their first possession, the Panthers converted a fourth-and-1 with a short run by fullback Mike Tolbert. On the Steelers’ first possession, they were faced with a fourth-and-1, but LeGarrette Blount was stopped short, and the Panthers took over.
* Not a real good series for Landry Jones the second time the Steelers got the ball. On a first-and-10 from the 10-yard line, Jones didn’t get rid of the ball on time and was sacked for a 9-yard loss by Kawann Short. On second down, Jones’ pass hit Carolina cornerback James Dockery in the facemask. On third down, Jones’ pass to Will Johnson was 1-yard short of what was needed for the first down, and the Steelers punted.
* It was a third-and-6 from the Carolina 46-yard line with about three minutes left in the first half. Panthers quarterback Joe Webb’s pass for WR Tavarres King was incomplete, but Vince Williams was flagged for a personal four for initiating contact with Webb below his knee. The penalty gave the Panthers a first down at the Pittsburgh 39-yard line.
* On a first-and-10 from the Carolina 45-yard line, wide receiver Philly Brown got behind cornerback Antwon Blake, and Joe Webb hit him for a 53-yard gain to the Pittsburgh 2-yard line. On the next play, Fozzy Whittaker scored the touchdown that gave the Panthers a 10-0 lead that they took into the fourth quarter.
* Brendon Kay had his 10-yard scramble nullified by a holding penalty on Graham Pocic.
*After a 6-yard gain on first down, the Steelers’ offensive possession was sabotaged by a sack of Brendon Kay, on a play in which he never saw Carolina safety Anderson Russell coming off the corner.