The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday’s matchup against the Washington Redskins. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
The Steelers will be wearing their throwback uniforms against the Redskins. The throwback uniforms represent the jerseys worn during the 1934 season. The team elected to choose the 1934 season jerseys to show a unique part of Steelers’ history during their 80th season celebration, and the uniform has not been worn since that season.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers’ sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, one month subscription to PG site, Redbox rental from Giant Eagle, Dark Shadows DVD, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, Sport Clips haircuts, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine’s pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, Quarter Pounders with Cheese and Hotcakes from McDonald’s, complimentary $4.99 appetizer from Eat’n Park, appetizers from Andora restaurant and Sabra products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. There will be a free breakfast buffet from 9:30-10:30 a.m., and The Lava Game will perform prior to kickoff outside of Stage AE.
Sunday’s game will mark the Steelers’ annual Food Drive that benefits the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Non-perishable food and household items will be accepted to help Pittsburgh-area needy families this fall. Four Food Bank identified barrels will be set up around Heinz Field to collect the donations from 10 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
The Steelers are participating all season in the “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, Greenstar Recycling, Three Rivers Power Sweep and the PRC.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday’s game:
- The Legendary Wax Statue of Professor
Troy Polamaluwill be on display in the FedEx Great Hall prior to the third quarter.
- Swin Cash, a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist, WNBA star and McKeesport native, will lead this week’s Terrible Towel Twirl along with Deb Neil, who was the winner of this week’s “My Pittsburgh Steelers” fan contest, Richard Polhamus, winner of the Post-Gazette’s Fan of the Game, and 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners.
- WDVE and the Steelers Radio Network will be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- Members of the Alpha and Delta company 1st of the 100th Infantry PA National Guard will present Sunday’s colors.
- The Chardon Polka Band will perform in the FedEx Great Hall prior to kickoff and Josh Gresh’s Gris-Gris will perform on the Main Concourse.
- High Valley, nominated for Group of the Year in the Canadian Country Music Association awards, will perform on the field prior to kickoff.
- Prior to kickoff on Sunday, PPG will present a $15,000 check to Academics In Motion.
- Fiji, one of the most influential artists in contemporary Island Reggae music, will sing Sunday’s national anthem.