By Michael Kelley
Social Media Intern
LATROBE, Pa. - Everyone knows Steelers fans travel well during the football season, but they do the same thing during training camp, heading to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., from all over the country.
- Derrick Rolle of Taylors, S.C. started his drive at 11 p.m. on Friday, July 25 to ensure he would be there for the first day of practice. Despite no sleep all night, he arrived the following morning at 9 a.m. and was excited to be there.
“I have been a Steelers fan since 1971 and am currently on vacation,” said Rolle. “There was no doubt I would be here.”
- Jason Rector flew from Palmetto, FL with his son for the first day of training camp, compelled by a gut feeling that he has.
“I feel that we’re going to win another Super Bowl,” said Rector. “It’s the same feeling I had before the 2008 season."
- Greg and Jeri Mauro of Hurst, TX had a family obligation at Steelers training camp. Their son,
Josh Mauro, is an undrafted free agent defensive end hoping to earn a roster spot. “We have a vested interest,” said Greg Mauro about their presence at camp.
- * Paul and Becky Allen of Bakersfield, CA also had family reasons for being at the start of camp, planning their family reunion in Wheeling, WV around it.
“My friend told me, ‘If it rains, I may not go,’” said Becky Allen. “I said to her, ‘If it rains, you might miss it, but I will still be there.’”
- Mike Cheverie and his wife Christine drove 22 hours from Prince Edward Island, Canada to Steelers training camp to celebrate his 50th birthday, something he wanted to celebrate around the team he loves.