The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Saturday’s preseason home opener against the Buffalo Bills. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. and all gates will open at 5:30 p.m.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 4 p.m. WDVE and the Steelers Radio Network will also be live at Stage AE for their pregame and postgame shows.
As part of USA Youth Football Month, youth football players will participate in player introductions, coin toss and presenting our nation’s colors. In addition, all helmets will feature a sticker dedicated to youth football month, all in an effort to spread the word about the Heads Up Football Initiative.
Heinz Field encourages fans to not bring in any type of bags. However, the following style and size bag, package or container at stadium plaza areas, stadium gates or when approaching queue lines of fans awaiting entry into the stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12.” (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags are available through steelers.com, at all Steelers Sideline Stores and at nflshop.com), or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Logo on bag cannot exceed 4.5” tall by 3.4” wide.
- Small clutch purses, approximately the size of a hand, or 4.5” x 6.5” with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at each gate.
- Diapers and wipes can be carried in a clear bag, however diaper bags are not permitted.
- Each member of a family, including children, will be able to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse.
- The PA Army National Guard will distribute clear bags to all fans who enter the nearby parking lots.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given a scratch-off card, and all 25,000 fans will be winners. Fans will have the opportunity to win Steelers gift cards (Steelers Sideline stores), pregame field passes, concert tickets (Stage AE), free in-stadium food and drinks, a PG Store offer, an official 9Forty League Cap (New Era), overnight stays (Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa), free coffee (GetGo) and admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
There will also be live music in a variety of areas prior to kickoff. The Vagrants will perform inside Stage AE, Glitz will perform in the FedEx Great Hall and Kevin Dale will perform on the main concourse.
The Steelers are participating all season in the “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Heinz Field, Waste Management, Three Rivers Power Sweep and Alco Parking.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday’s game:
- Boy Scouts will hand out Steelers’ 2014 magnet schedules at all gates.
- Prior to kickoff, the Arthur J. Rooney Scholarship will present scholarships to three recipients, Marlena Cook (North Catholic), Jaime Grimm (Perry) and Willie Jones (Perry).
- Bill Camp’s Famous Flying Frisbee Dogs will perform on field prior to kickoff.
- The Terrible Towel Twirl will be led by Miss Pennsylvania, Amanda Smith.
- The Pittsburgh Steeline Drum Line will perform during pregame and will continue throughout the stadium during the game.
- As part of USA Youth Football Month, The Connellsville Area High School JROTC Color Guard will present our nation’s colors.
- Pittsburgh native, Shawnett Simpkins, will perform the National Anthem.
- Army Colonel, Jack Skelly, will be honored as the ATI Hometown Hero.
- Le’Veon Bell will be presented with the Joe Greene Great Performance Award at halftime for being named the Steelers’ 2013 rookie of the year.
- The Dick’s Sporting Goods youth football halftime contest will feature Bethel Park and North Allegheny.