The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday’s matchup against the San Diego Chargers. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and all gates will open at 11 a.m.
The Steelers and the NFL will recognize the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame throughout the game. Each team will have a patch on the players’ jerseys and there will be in-stadium recognition with banners and messaging.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers’ sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, overnight stays at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, one month subscription to PG site, Redbox rental from Giant Eagle, Lawless DVD, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, Sport Clips haircuts, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine’s pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, oatmeal and 4-piece chicken McNuggets from McDonald’s, Dine-In Breakfast Smile from Eat’n Park, appetizers from Andora restaurant and Sabra products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 9 a.m. There will be a free breakfast buffet from 9:30-10:30 a.m., and The Vagrants will perform prior to kickoff outside of Stage AE.
The Steelers are participating all season in the “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, Greenstar Recycling, Three Rivers Power Sweep and the PRC.
Additionally, the Steelers annual Toys for Tots Drive will take place prior to Sunday’s game. Uniformed Marines will be stationed at all stadium gates and on Art Rooney Avenue from 10 a.m.-1:15 p.m. collecting toys. Fans are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy to the game.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday’s game:
- Actor Channing Tatum and director Bennett Miller, who are currently filming the move “Foxcatcher” in Pittsburgh,will lead this week’s Terrible Towel Twirl along with Theodore M. Broadnax, who was the winner of this week’s “My Pittsburgh Steelers” fan contest, Arlene Thorne, winner of the Post-Gazette’s Fan of the Game, and 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners.
- WDVE and the Steelers Radio Network will be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- Dean’s Dairy will present a $10,000 check to the Arthur J. Rooney Scholarship Fund prior to Sunday’s game.
- The Delaney’s will perform in the FedEx Great Hall and the KPG Band will perform on the Main Concourse.
- Members of the U.S. Navy Recruiting District of Pittsburgh will present Sunday’s colors.
- The U.S. Navy’s VFA-86 Sidewinders will perform a flyover prior to kickoff in honor of the 71st Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- The 28th Infantry Division Army National Guard will perform on field prior to kickoff.
- Kathleen Fee, who is part of the band Celtic Cross, will sing Sunday’s national anthem.
- Perry Traditional Academy (City League champions) and Clairton High School (WPIAL Class A champions) will be honored at Sunday’s game.
- During halftime, there will be a passing exhibition of the NFL’s Punt, Pass and Kick initiatives. The winners from each age group will be recognized in the South End Zone at the end of the third quarter.