The Pittsburgh Steelers are encouraging fans to arrive early to enjoy the many activities surrounding game day at Heinz Field for Sunday’s home opener against the New York Jets. Kickoff is set for 4:25 p.m. and all gates will open at 2:30 p.m.
The Steelers 1st-IN-GOAL promotion, sponsored by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, will allow fans who enter Heinz Field early on game days the opportunity to win exclusive prizes from the team. The first 25,000 fans who enter the stadium will be given scratch-off cards at all gates as well as suite and club entrances. Fans will have the opportunity to win pre-game field passes and the chance to participate in the pre-game Terrible Towel Twirl on the Steelers’ sideline just prior to kickoff, Steelers gift cards, Terrible Towels, one-night stay at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort and Spa, Stage AE concert tickets, Nike replica jersey, one month subscription to PG site, Redbox rental from Giant Eagle, Battleship DVD, Official 59Fifty football cap from New Era, Sport Clips haircuts, fountain drinks from Pepsi and GetGo, Augustine’s pizzas, Silverstar Meats hot dogs, hash browns and Filet-o-Fish sandwiches from McDonald’s, Breakfast Smiles from Eat’n Park, appetizers from Andora restaurant and Sabra products.
Fans are encouraged to stop by Stage AE prior to entering the stadium to participate in the Official Tailgate Zone of the Pittsburgh Steelers as many great prizes will be given away. Admission is free and the doors will open at 11 a.m. The Lava Game will perform prior to kickoff outside of Stage AE.
The Steelers are participating all season in the “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign. At every Steelers home game, the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA) and its partners are collecting aluminum cans, glass containers and plastic bottles and cups at tailgating parties in the parking lots outside of Heinz Field. The “Let’s Tackle Recycling” campaign is sponsored by the SEA in partnership with Heinz Field, Alco Parking, Greenstar Recycling, Three Rivers Power Sweep and the PRC.
The following are additional highlights for fans for Sunday’s game:
- 2012 Steelers Yearbooks will be given out by the Boy Scouts of America upon entering Heinz Field.
- The Steelers will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month at Sunday’s game. Pregame festivities include performances by Miguel’s Mariachi Fiesta (Main Concourse) and Guaracha Latin Dance Band (FedEx Great Hall). The team will honor Ric Perez, President/COO of Westinghouse Electric, with the NFL Hispanic Heritage Leadership Award at the game.
- Clairton Police Officer, James Kuzak, who was injured in the line of duty, will lead this week’s Terrible Towel Twirl along with Brent Osborne, the NFL’s Fan Flag Challenge winner, Angelo Cammarata (Pittsburgh), who was the winner of this week’s “My Pittsburgh Steelers” fan contest, and 1st-IN-GOAL pre-game field pass winners.
- Army Sgt. Bob Timney will sing Sunday’s national anthem. Troops from a Pennsylvania Unit from Coraopolis currently stationed in Kuwait will be shown on the video board standing at attention for the national anthem.
- The team will be recognizing youth football by having a Dick’s Sporting Goods youth football game at halftime. The exhibition will feature the St. Sebastian Varsity versus the North Pittsburgh Catholic Varsity (south end zone) and the St. Sebastian Junior Varsity vs. St. Louise de Marillac (north end zone).
- The super-athletic golden retriever Buddy (Air Bud) will demonstrate his legendary football catching abilities during a pre-game performance with Kevin DiCicco.
- WDVE and the Steelers Radio Network will be live at Stage AE for their pre-game shows.
- The United States Army Pittsburgh Recruiting Company Color Guard will present Sunday’s colors.